The following information is shared by the Texas Department of Transportation:
Most crashes in Texas result from speeding, failure to yield, driving under the influence of alcohol, following too closely and running red lights and stop signs.
Avoid a collision
- Slow down and drive to conditions.
- Drive friendly – yield to other drivers and be courteous.
- Maintain a safe following distance.
- Look both ways before you enter an intersection.
- Signal every turn and lane change.
- Stop at red lights and stop signs.
- Don’t drive if you’ve been drinking.
What to do after a crash
- Check for injuries. If people are hurt, tend to them.
- Move your car out of the roadway to a safer place where you can exchange names, addresses, phone numbers, vehicle identification numbers, vehicle license plate numbers, insurance information and driver license information.
- Note the location of the crash and get the names, addresses and phone numbers of any witnesses. If the vehicles cannot be moved, protect the scene by setting up flares or raising your hood.
When to call police
Always call the police when:
- an injury or fatality is involved,
- the vehicles cannot be moved,
- you suspect one of the drivers is intoxicated,
- one of the drivers has no insurance, or
- one of the drivers leaves the scene.
When to move your vehicle
If you are in a collision and no one is hurt, don’t wait for the police before moving your vehicle. If you can drive the vehicle, the law requires you to move it out of the flow of traffic.
If there is damage to the vehicle, stop and exchange information. If someone is hurt, render aid and notify law enforcement. If you hit an unattended vehicle, find the driver or write your name and address on a note explaining what happened. You must also include the owner’s name and address if the vehicle you are driving doesn’t belong to you.
Sharing Information With Other Driver
As mentioned above, after an accident with another driver you will want to exchange some basic contact information including names, addresses, phone numbers, vehicle identification numbers, vehicle license plate numbers, insurance information and driver license information. However, it is important that you do not share more than this information. Do not apologize or take blame for the accident, even if you believe it was your fault. In some circumstances, there are more factors than you may realize that led to the collision. When possible reach out to our law firm for a free consultation with a car accident attorney before contacting your car insurance company.
Spanish Speaking Car Accident Lawyer in Houston, Texas
Spanish-speaking individuals can have a more difficult time seeking justice in their personal injury cases due to language barriers. This causes them to not take action against those who have left them with financial devastation and physical trauma. At the Law Office of Beverly R. Caruthers, our team refuses to let a language barrier affect your right to justice and compensation. If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident and is in need of Spanish-speaking legal advice, our team is here for you.
We make it easy for those who have been injured due to the actions of others to navigate the legal system in order to get the results they need to continue on in their lives. Schedule your no-obligation car accident consultation with Attorney Caruthers today. Our team will work with you every step of the way to ensure your needs are being met and that you are getting the treatment you deserve in your car accident case. Don’t hesitate, the sooner you call the more we can do to get you results.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Houston, Texas
If you or someone you love has been involved in a car accident and suffered an injury, experienced loss of income, or are unable to work due to a car accident, you can benefit from the services of a Houston car accident expert in your personal injury case. Whether you missed work due to an injury or due to not having access to a vehicle, Attorney Beverly R. Caruthers can help you!
Our team works hard to bring the most efficient and practical solutions to your car accident case. Beverly R. Caruthers proudly serves and defends the Greater Houston area including but not limited to Baytown, Conroe, Crosby, Humble, Huntsville, Lake Jackson, Missouri City, Pasadena, Spring, Tomball.
Beverly R Caruthers Law Office
Address: 4141 Southwest Fwy, Suite 620
Houston, TX 77027
Google Business Listing